Tuesday 9 May 2017

Introduction: ChargingPun

Name - 
Ben aka Charging Pun

Where are you - 
Cambridge, Ontario

Who are you - 
Code Monkey Level: 14
Husband Level: 11
Father Level: 8.6.4

I am many things. I'm a guy who likes to play, create, and analyze games.

What are you playing on the table - 
At first I thought: not much, but that is not true.

The table does not have to include exotically painted miniatures, or complex rules, and for the most part mine does not. My table is populated by Checkers, Crazy Eights, Go Fish, Sorry: Minion Edition, Monopoly, and others.

While most of these would not be my first choice for gaming, I consider this an investment, a foundation for future gaming.

Play style - 
I am an analyst, professionally and recreationally.

I seek out exploits and advantages. I've been min-maxing since long before I knew there was a name for it. I value effectiveness over power, method over chaos.

Top irk at the table - 

Me.

I am a logical, easy-going kind of guy. I make a living deconstructing and rebuilding systems, and games are a collection of systems (not a complete definition). I understand how they work, and what they are designed to accomplish.

I'm also an extremely competitive person. From the days of youngest me right up to last weekend, when I was wrestling on the front lawn with my brother-in-law, the fires of competition have motivated me.

It disheartens me to say it, but there have been times when my competitive nature has gotten the better of me at the table... when losing. I know how much this sucks, as I've experienced it from the other side.

This is my struggle.

Lately, I've been fighting this battle in an entirely new way... through my kids.

Current gamer projects - 
Teaching my kids to play games.

Last word - 
That's not the last word...there is more.

No comments:

Post a Comment