Friday 27 October 2017

Update - Oct 2017

By: Dozer

Be it card game like the LCG Legend of the Five Rings, a new board game release like Dead of Winter: Warring Colonies, and new tabletop miniatures games like Guildball, I'm being hammered by lots of wants while I travel around Canada so here is an update on my Hobby life.

I was not very impressed with the Legend of the Five Rings LCG or RPG so far. The LCG is pretty good but it feels too much like the Game of Thrones LCG and it's very mechanical. When I played the game for the initial run at GENCON I had a pretty poor time with the way the event was run. Add in a very rigid game system that lacks the subtle artisanal flavor that permeates the medieval Japan inspired setting.

I feel this will end up like Netrunner, sitting in my gaming cabinet waiting for that one off player who wont mind playing a game outside of my groups current flavor. It makes it hard for me to pick up and pay for. The real kicker for not going any deeper than my initial purchase for Legend of the Five Rings was the need to buy at least 3 core sets - a *censor* travesty!

Unlike Netrunner you can't play with two people right out of the box. Secondly and like Netrunner they limit some of the cards to 2 copies and 1 copy per box. So if you need three copies of a dozen plus cards you need to buy 2+ core sets. Fantasy Flight Games is a fantastic company and they have made some great games but this is a really sour pill. Only Twilight Imperium 4th edition is a game I want and that's really too bad. It really sucks that FFG acts too much like a big business sometimes.

Dead of Winter is a great game. I love the first core set and I've only played a few games of the second care set Dead of Winter: Longest Night and it was also a great experience. At GENCON I missed stopping by their booth and it was one of my few regrets from GENCON 50.

Now they've released Dead of Winter: Warring Colonies and it looks awesome for a guy like me who has both core sets. It allows for 11 people to play and as much as I'd like to play with a huge group I juts want to play with both core sets with characters from two colonies cooperatively playing with each other against the other group of players.


I really want to grab a group of player together this holiday season when I'm on break from all my travel to play a heavy game of at least 4 players for a whole day of winter zombie survival.

Lastly I'm once more looking Guildball being very dangerous from what I've been told. I've long been looking at Guildball but I don't need another miniature game and I have plenty of minis to paint and I'm not home long enough to get into a painting groove.

Since it started I've tried to find a guild that really made me want to play. I've had a few close calls but it wasn't until the Blacksmiths were announced. I almost picked them up at GENCON and I'm still glad I didn't. I don't need another game and no one else is my group plays the game. This last bit is important as I already have a limited time frame to play games.



They look neat and their mechanic where you need an Apprentice and a Master to work in tandem sounds very interesting. I love the minis they look very nice and I really like the extra pieces of terrain as well. I love the look of Iron, Furnace, and my favorite Alloy. So three out of six are big time nice nice minis making this set even more enticing - and dangerous.

Alloy is a hooded running stealth character with a duel wield axe-dagger combo. I love any combo with axe, dagger, and saber for my fantasy characters. I'd love this mini for my Iron Kingdoms RPG and it makes me really want this set.

Last bit of news is TTCombat has bought Dropzone Commander and Dropfleet Commander from Hawk Wargames.

Hawk Wargames was founded by David Lewis. A fellow gamer who put his love of his hobby into making a successful game on his own. Since then he's launched a  successful Kickstarter, worked with Andy Chambers, and created one of the greatest minis of all time.

I'm interested to see where this goes and hope everyone at Hawk and TTCombat continues to support the Dropzone and Dropfleet games.

- Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment