Monday 10 July 2017

Lab 3.0 – The Office

By: Dozer

As I get ready for GENCON and Capital Conflict (our second official event) I wanted to share my current working space. When it comes to my hobby-ing (?). I’ve always called my work space the “Lab” based off of the creative output that goes on within. Everything is an experiment and creative brainstorming is the norm.

The first was when I still lived with my parents. The second was the house basement that my wife and I rented. Since we downsized into a two story condo we had a guest room that we also use as an office. This shared office has become my third and most successful lab to date. Let me show you around.


First off there is Moby. I cannot ignore his contributions to the lab... because he's a lumbering old dog who needs to bury himself in whatever you're working on. So his bed goes down until he decides that he's had enough rest and moves somewhere else as equally inconvenient. In shops you'll find him under the table saw or miter saw. He's that snoring pile of sawdust that moves when he wakes up. Sadly while painting fine miniatures he'll try to bury himself under the desk - while I'm working. After a miss-stroke, a dropped mini, and some yelling he gets moved. I pick up the pieces and move his stuff around and he finds himself a new space. This of course is when I take my force breaks from my work.


I tend to listen to three things while I work: Beasts of War videos as they play on the TV above me. Mayacast the podcast made by Tom and Kip. Lastly various electronic heavy music that ranges from Industrial (Frontline Assembly, Nine Inch Nails, KMFDM), Dubstep (Skrillex, Knife Party, etc), and Electronica (Daft Punk, Chemical Brothers, Robert Miles, Scooter, etc). I also put one long compilations from youtube by BEM, Arctic Empire, and CloudX. These I used for longer sessions for when I'm assembling, writing, editing, and painting. The mixes I pick are longer from 1 hour to 2 hours based on the amount of time I want to work. This allows me to time my efforts and force me to stick to a time frame. I can leave work and get distracted easy or get lost in what I'm doing.


I have a small tabetop that is deep enough for me to put down my filtered box fan down with enough space for air flow behind it. On the wall behind the fan is newspaper held up my painters tape. This is only used when I airbrush. Otherwise the fan is put away in the closet or under my desk depending if I'm going to airbrush again next time I sit down to work. I had a six foot power bar standing up allowing me to plug everything in. On the window sill I have my small space TV monitor. My laptop has only recently moved to a cheep metal stool so I can put it off to the side or pull it close as needed.

I like to the keep the room ready to motivate me. I have my overflowing IKEA glass shelf, folding couch, spare mattress (for when the couch becomes a twin bed). My wife was awesome in letting me litter the walls and shelves with tons of nerd stuff. One of the highlights is the sectioned prints of the MCU Avengers in watercolour. I have my shelves filled with art books from video games, miniature games, and board games as inspiration. I also have a my statues from various video games, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, Assassin's Creed: Blackflag, Fallout 4, and Dues Ex: Mankind Divided. Add in a Court of Owls mask and a round from an real artillery piece and my little lab is set.

What type of setups do you have? How do you solve sharing hobby crafting space with regular life space? Do you have a dedicated hobby area and what's inside that makes it special? What do you keep around to keep you inspired?

- Cheers

Dozer

Edit: This dropped late because I suck at Internets. 


No comments:

Post a Comment